Model א or Model ב?
Our Hebrew keyboards and Hebrew keyboard stickers all use the Hebrew QWERTY layout. Aleph-Board makes two variants of this layout:
- Hebrew keyboards and keyboard stickers match the DavkaWriter variant of Hebrew QWERTY
- Compatible with almost any program on both Windows and Mac
- Hebrew keyboards and keyboard stickers match the Mac variant of Hebrew QWERTY
- Compatible with almost any program (except DavkaWriter) on both Windows and Mac
Still unsure? Baruch Morris, the founder of Aleph-Board, thinks Model א is the most logical and that is his preference. On the other hand, Rabbi Zalman Schachter-Shalomi zt”l, founder of the Jewish Renewal Movement, preferred Model ב. (That didn’t help, did it. One Jewish website, two opinions. Oy!)
Choose Model א if you have never used a Hebrew keyboard. Required for use with DavkaWriter. Works on both Windows and Mac.
Choose Model ב if you prefer the Hebrew QWERTY version that comes with Mac OS X. Works on Mac and Windows.
Both models feature Aleph-Board exclusive enhancements not found in other Hebrew QWERTY layouts:
- A complete set of nikudot, enabling consistency and proper nikud entry according to the Unicode standard.
- Sofit (final) letters using the Shift key
- Access to typographic geresh, gereshayim, and sof pasuq characters
- Access to double ligatures (ײ, װ, ױ)
- Additional corrections and enhancements designed to make typing in Hebrew a joy instead of a frustration.